Jun 2, 2012

Friday windsurf

The wind forecast for friday had been looking epic all week..
And by friday the wind was howling allright. I had the day off and the plan was for Braveheart (aka Klaus) and I to go for some good old windsurf action.
I checked the webcam all morning and despite the strong wind, the waves was not looking great.
When Klaus arrived at my place at 12 am, we reassured each other, that Hvide Sande was the place to go;  despite what the webcam was showing..
For more on the spot see here
On the way to the spot, we could see some flatwater action on the fjord.

Perfect learning conditions
When we arrived at the spot, the sun was shining and the wind was strong, cross onshore staboard tack. normally this would mean great conditions, but due to the new pier (?) conditions were looking kind of strange, with no real impact zone , lots of chop and white water.

The usual crowd but no real waves..


Still a lot of construction going on..


Lars and Per searching for waves..

As usual lots of kiters

The parking lot slowly filling up




I hesitated but rigged the 4,5m2 and my rrd 76 L board (more on that here). The walk through the dunes is quite strenuous, but I arrived at the water and had lots of power in my 4.5 The conditions were dissapointing to say the least, very hard to find waves were you could link more than one cutback together, and as an extra bonus it was very choppy. The new pier doesn´t seem to turn the waves the few extra degrees like the old one did. The old pier would turn the waves a few degrees, giving you a side-shore aproach to the wave allthough it was slightly onshore..

 I did manage to catch a few good ones, but they were far apart.

This worries me sligthly, is the best starboardtack wave spot in Denmark dead? Is the good old Flynder point magic gone? Looks like it for now... I'm quite gutted by that perspective...


A surfer  finding his way to the north side of the new pier
There were a few windswept to be shared..


This guy found a wave - well done !

 





This guy was happy despite the conditions
This guy did some amazing cheese rolls..

I did manged to get a little footage with my go pro.. here some stills, video to follow.

 A wave!!






Again I do look funny buttom turning!





No comments:

Post a Comment