Sep 11, 2012

Waterz part 1

This weekend the annual Waterz event was held in Hvide Sande.
 The event host just about any watersport activity you can think of. The danish race scene crown their slalom champion here, the freestyle tour stops by as well. There is a kite contest, a SUP -race, wake-boarding and even Tonky Franz was there to add a little caribbian flavour and some stardust. The hightlight of the event is without a doubt the Longdistance race with more than 200 windsurfers and 100 kiters going downwind.
I participated in the SUP-race, my first SUp race ever , as you migth know I just recently got my hands on a race sup.
The race event was held friday afternoon in the fjord. I was there early and the waves at the ocean side were cranking so I took out the wave SUP for two hours before going racing..
The racing was held at the event headquarter at the fjord and the course was about 3 km, and conditions were pretty challeging due to a strong blowing wind. The last 1,5 km were staigth onto the wind.
 25 participants went flying into water as soon as the signal was given.
The event was won by Morten Lander, who has won quite a few events this year, second position was taken by an on-fire Sebastian Kornum. I ended up in fifth position.
I was amazed how hard it actually was, my shoulders were on fire..
Sebastian Kornum was quite impressive as well, last week he was in the SUP -wave contest, this week competting, in slalom, formula, long distance and SUP
After the race I decided to take another couple of hours in the waves.. When the sunset I was really feeling my body.
Here some pics from friday...
Warming up for the race



Not really saving any energy here

A little taste of world cup at the fjord 








Race Fuel

Hectic start


The Winner

Morten Lander

Blog-author reaching the finish line..

For those intersted here a photo gallery: Waterz SUP

No comments:

Post a Comment