Sep 4, 2012

Event Summary part 1

As promised I will give you my view of the Dansih national SUP wave chapionsships. The event was held in Cold Hawai as the region around Klitmøller is nick named. The conditions weren't really Hawaii -like and It wasn't  cold either.
I had all sorts of issues but somehow managed to take the saturday off ( the first day of the event). This involved leaving work  at 04.30 having slept only about  a hour.
I was pretty  busted when I finally arrived at the Event head quarter , the newly build home of the renowned local surfclub called NASA ,but glad too have arrived in one piece..
Conditions at the reef , where the windsurf world cup is held, were looking poor, at least in my eyes . So the first possible start was postponed for a few hours.. I used this time to get to know a few very nice people and to drink a lot of coffee.
Finally around 11.30 it was decided to start the event at the reef... Stilll not exactly  first class conditions. And there were rumors that a nearby spot was going off. Stong  cross onshore wind, lots of current and mushy unpredictable waves at the reef, but in theese situation it is never easy to make a decision..
THe good guys made it look do-able allthough they were struggeling as well.
My heat was one of the last before the event was cancelled for the day. Everybody in my heat was swimming and paddeling more than actually surfing. Of course I didn't advance I only caugth two waves that were rubbish..
I was quite bummed that I had pulled all my strings to make this event happen  and the experiencing some of the worst conditions of the year.....
I packed my gear up after eating some really delicious soup.
I drove to nearby Hanstholm, and there it was:  a liitle nice peeling wave, ofshore wind and nobody out, I unpacked and rushed for the water ..
I was soon joined by some others and we had a couple of nice hours in theese nice conditions, paddling back out you could enjoy the view of your mates riding the waves.. Easy conditions, not hardcore but good fun.
This is what SUP is all about for me, fun-stoke-friendship.











































No comments:

Post a Comment